$5 plant stall- Roadside honesty box system




We have started selling from our little roadside plant stall! it is so exciting when we hear the coins drop into the box on the fence and the gentle thud of the car doors closing and the grind of the gravel as the tyres pull our of the drive. QUICK! QUICK! out to the box and see what has been sold....and with such enormous sense of self satisfaction.




















I can tell you now that growing tuberous begonias has been a winner! we bought the tubers when they had died back for the year and were just pots of nobbly bits! we spent hardly anything buying punnets of 4 little begonias and then potted them up into 140mm plastic pots(free recycled ones of course)when they started to grow in spring. We are charging $5 AUD per plant

Red was by far the favourite colour and the whites have not sold so well, although they are pretty just not as eye catching, perhaps I might plant the leftovers into a hanging basket before they die down for the year and try and sell them like that.

next on my plant stall is WEIGELA this variety is an unknown from my parents garden that I propagated over winter. No flower yet  which is a bugger as EVERYTHING sell 10 x better when it is flowering. Next year I will know to water things with liquid potash to get it all blooming as soon as possible! is there a cheap way to get  liquid potash? (must look into it!)

Soon to be ready are Cestrum, Viburnum( must try and ID this variety as it grows so well), Chamomile, Comfrey, Buddleja globosa





Comments

  1. This is an inspiring idea! I am always propagating plants and then don't know whom to give them to. There may be people walking by who are The Ones :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes and i think you will find it promotes community gardening/ sharing plants etc.

      fun thing to do do! and it doesn't require much effort if you are a gardener and used to watering etc anyway :-)

      Delete
  2. I love your flower power roadside stand. I love to buy plants from real gardeners rather than big box nurseries:)
    I buy potash as a powder and put a pinch in when i plant tomatoes. Never used it to promote flowering.. although that's what it does with the tomatoes of course! It's very cheap by the box, because you use so little per plant. I guess you could sprinkle it around plants too, and water it in. Worth the experiment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo :-) I completely missed doing this on my tomatoes this year, but will give it a go next year. I am definitely adding the potash when I transplant the next batch of seedlings into 140mm pots though :-) see how it goes
      many thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts