Frugal Friday- Recycled handmade socks







These socks were knit from a mini skirt that my partners auntie knit in the 1960's. After realising the skirt wasn't a good look on me I unravelled the wool and knit up these socks. The pattern I used is called "The Ribber Rubber Socks" intended for wellies or in my case some serious work boots.

I love this pattern and these are the warmest most cushiest socks I've ever owned! it cost approx $4.35 AUD when I bought it and was well worth it.(why are more people not making this pattern?!)

I remember my mum telling me that knitting socks was taught to her as part of her schooling when she was young and that it was difficult....challenge accepted mum! it is a shame I learnt noting at school that resembled practical crafts.  I had a bit of a hiccup doing the afterthought heel, but now I know how it's done I think it's a great technique.

Comments

  1. I think people who knit socks in the 21st century should receive a special award, so special that I am not smart enough to come up with the elegant name of this award, given only to the most courageous, sensible, can-do, patient and wise people. I am always in awe! I haven't ever had a Bucket List, but maybe I should start one, and put 1) Learn to Knit Socks at the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha it feels like a small win when you are wearing handmade socks! I love knowing how the "anatomy" of the socks go together. It is a fun skill to learn and especially with so many great video tutorials out there! let me know if you want a link to the free videos I found the most helpful.

      Delete
  2. I would like that very much, even though I wouldn't be able to get into this project for a few months at the soonest. I'll bookmark them, and most likely they will still be there when I come back. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts